For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Fish and Inverts are here!

7 replies [Last post]
c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Santa just arrived at the shop with a whole bunch of beautiful white stryofoam boxes......200 fish and a countless number of inverts now in stock!

Check the stock report for a detailed list.

Here's a small sampling though...

Tangs - baby hippos, power blue, powder brown, melanurus / mystery wrasses, gobies and chromis galore and all sorts of others. As far as inverts, a bunch of peppermints and cleaners, as well as a host of others, including some not so typical inverts not regularly available in stores.

In addition to the fish and invert deliveries, Jeff went and fraged up a ton of stuff from the Lagoon and Growout systems, so the coral tanks are packed to the gills.

Come on down...I'm excited and pulling out my fragging tools to make some room.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

curlykid
curlykid's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
where's my helfrichi!!!!????

coming over there tomorrow.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
See you there!

See you there!

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

curlykid
curlykid's picture
unfortunately the rougher of

unfortunately the rougher of the two firefish did not make it. She was fine last but then this morning she started swimming in circles and ran into things. and then she died in my hand, so i took her out and flushed her. So sad to see something so beautiful perish. I wanted to know since it was in the 24 hour window, if i could get something out of it. I didn't just spend $80 on a fish to watch it die. On the bright side, the other one is doing great, he's eating well, and is very active and bold.

Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
I never like to see marine fish die

Here is the thing. If I offer a guarantee on any fish for any customer.......I will then be obligated to do it for everyone. Hence, the big bold sign in bright red at the checkout stating "All Livestock sales are final" "Reef Chief does not guarantee the survival of any livestock that leaves these premises" may as well be taken down. I offer a fish selection that is on display for the customer to choose and decide from. There are never sick, infected or dead fish in my displays. I have less than a 4% fatality. This is a record number in the entire area. The customer chooses and makes a firm decision to purchase whatever they decide on. We have no say in what they purchase, nor do we push for a sale. We have no idea if a fish will live past the next acclimation procedure, which should be carried out with extreme caution and precise measure. Fire fish, specifically, are very intolerant to temperature, salinity, pH or DKH indifferences from one system to the other. They are extremely fragile and cannot withstand any pestering from another tank mate.
When you tested the bag of water the fish were purchased in, what readings did you get? Then, what readings was your QT system? Then, what readings was the final display system, if there was no QT? Protocol is of every importance...
I wish I could give guarantees on livestock, unfortunately I cannot.

Nick,
You are a good customer. I have enjoyed watching you advance in this hobby. Your display looks much different from the day I did a service on a seemingly failing system. I feel you are learning a lot and have much still to learn. After 20 years, I am still learning. Not that it makes any feel any better......we have all lost fish, expensive fish. I spend nearly $30,000 a year on fish, maybe more. For me to even think about getting a credit from a vendor, I have to have a DOA of more than 15%. That does not include any of the 3%-4% of fish that die the next day. It is only on DOA fish. So, unless I lose $4,500, I get nothing. Each year I loose several thousand in DOA's, which does not meet their criteria, for reimbursement. If the fish is still breathing, when I open the box, it is considered live arrival. It is then up to me to do everything in my power to acclimate and have it survive. This is a tough hobby, especially when you purchase expensive fish and do not do every protocol necessary for the survivability of that fish.

All my fish come in on Monday or Tuesday. I spend hours, sometimes all night acclimating. They are watched and fed carefully over the next few days, before they are offered to the public. My water quality is a 10. I test every day and make necessary changes to keep it that way.

Sorry for your loss, really.

Regards
Jeff

Having a seemingly unreachable vision. Working extremely arduous against all odds. Embracing and protecting the vision turned reality. Living the dream.
Life is not so bad after all.

Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
follow up

If anyone has something to say, constructive, negative, positive or whatever.......please say it here.

Having a seemingly unreachable vision. Working extremely arduous against all odds. Embracing and protecting the vision turned reality. Living the dream.
Life is not so bad after all.

curlykid
curlykid's picture
I totally understand. I

I totally understand. I really didn't think there was a guarantee, i was asking simply to make sure, and i'm glad that i still have the one left that i was planning on getting anyway. I also think that, because the fish is a deepwater species, it might not have decompressed properly, which happens to a fair amount of fish collected from deepwater reefs (and also explains why it was swimming into things when it died). Plus, it's not likely that it was diseased, because the other one is spotless and 100% healthy, and it didn't have any visible signs of parasites when it died. It may have been stress from acclimation, or any other number of factors, i just don't know. Anyways, i only spent $60 total because of the credit, and you give me great deals on all of the stuff i buy from you, and the other one is just so amazing!!! Thanks, Nick. (PS- I got the little guy to eat mysis)

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
Well said Nick, constructive

Well said Nick, constructive discussion is always a good thing. Like you, I too have lost fish shortly after acclimation to my QT, it's a gamble we all take when acquiring new specimens that were in the ocean only days prior. It's disheartening to see it happen, but unfortunately it does. FWIW, I'm downright embarrassed to say how many fish I lost when I was new to the hobby, and if it weren't for people like Jeff and Patrick, I wouldn't be where I am today. Keep on it, the trick is to keep learning every day!