For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Weekly Fish List

17 replies [Last post]
Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Bicolor Angel - m - 25
Flame Angel - m - 45
Lemonpeel Angel - m -30
Squamipinnis - m -20 - only two left
Flametail blenny - 15
CBBF - m - 35
Bangai - 18
Diamond Goby - 25
Mandarin - splendidus - 17
Purple Firefish - 25 - SOLD
Randalli - m - 30
Mandarin - picturatus - m - 20
Foxface - sm - 25
Blonde Naso - m - 65 ------SOLD
Powder Blue - m - 45 - SOLD
Cleaner Wrasse - Africa - 20
Mystery Wrasse - m - 90
Yellow Banded Possum - 40
Lawnmower - sm - 12
Ocellaris - sm - 15
engineer - m - 8
Firefish - m - 10
Yellow Watchman - m - 12
Chocolate Tang - ml - 45 ---------SOLD
Orange Shoulder - ml - 55 --------SOLD
Sailfin - Pacific - sm - 25
Yellow Tang - m - 28
Niger - sm - 20
McCosker - male - sm - 35 ---------SOLD
Melanarus - male - m - 45 -----------SOLD
Hawaiian - Durgeon Trigger - ml - 80 - SOLD
Tomini Tang - m - 50
Scribbled rabbit - ml - 45
Humu Picasso - sm - 30
Dogface Puffer - md - 40
Have some inverts arriving also. cleaner and fire shrimp

Having a seemingly unreachable vision. Working extremely arduous against all odds. Embracing and protecting the vision turned reality. Living the dream.
Life is not so bad after all.

Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
edit

edit - sold

Just a note... Since moving to our new location, our fatality has greatly been reduced. On an average our fish fatality is less than 3%. In comparrison to our old location and many other lfs, that is 14% lower. Some fatality is as high as 25%. Our standards are higher and more consistent than anywhere.

Having a seemingly unreachable vision. Working extremely arduous against all odds. Embracing and protecting the vision turned reality. Living the dream.

Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
edit

edit - SOLD

poormanisme
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hey Jeff, Can you get me a

Hey Jeff,
i'm trying to find a blue throat or sargussum small trigger. Or, if u could find a small crosshatch that didnt cost an arm and a leg. Let me know what you find.
thanks
scott

Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
fish

The blue is no problem. I have two coming in on Tuesday. Sargussum....not an easy find, but I will try. The only Crosshatch available are either large pairs or single males - 5inches and at least an arm. i will see what is available and let you know.

Todd
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hey Jeff - I'm at the point

Hey Jeff -

I'm at the point where I will be re-stocking my tank after dealing with issue after issue - bryopsis, cyano, dino's, ich... you name it man, I've been fighting it. Anyway - everything is on the up and up and I'll be looking for fish again soon. I'm willing to drive out there to get my fish - so first off, given my tank size and descriptions, I would like you to review my fish list and give me your comments and also give me pricing on which fish I want:

First off - the tank is a typical 150 DD cube with a 30 gallon sump and about 80 - 90 lbs of rock in the display - very open water column. Lighting is a single 250 watt Reeflux 10K with a Lumenmax Elite reflector. I'm in the process of removing my sandbed and going BB - or keeping just a very shallow dusting of sand, so this will affect my livestock selections. I'm running a SRO1000-INT skimmer and am running a small 9w Coralife UV. The system will be 99% soft coral (mosty zoas, leathers and gorgonian dominant) with the exception of just 1 or 2 SPS corals (green slimer center piece and a seriatopora of some type). Maybe a Derasa clam in the future. My vision is obviously clear on what I want in my system.

Fish list:

1.) King Starry Blenny - not very common in the trade from what I've seen. I've only seen like 3 so far locally and I wasn't in the market at that time. (small to medium size)
2.) Onyx clown pair - or true perc clowns with similar coloration (darker orange with a good amount of black). (small to medium size)
3.) Gramma Loreto - or - Gramma Dejongi (depending on cost and availability. I think there may be importing issues with the Dejongi but I don't know if that's been rectified). (small to medium size)
4.) Yellow Candy Hog - or - 4 line wrasse (small to medium size)
5.) Female Swallowtail Angel (small to medium size)
6.) Acanthurus Tennenti (medium size minimum)

This would also be the order on which I would be adding them to the system. Obviously depending on cost, I would need to coordinate availability with you.

I have a dedicated QT system that has been up and running since October and is fully cycled so be assured these animals would be given the best possible chance.

Thanks.

Todd

Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
ok

king- the one with redish eyes? They are available. Not as hardy as the regular lawnmower. I could have them tomorrow. $25
percs-onyx-special order only-pre pay-buyer takes full responsibility-pick up on arrival from vendor-usually so inbred, they are short lived
percs-true-wild-beautiful-not readily available-cost varies depending on availability-must QT-brook is rampid
percs-true-TR-not so beautiful-usually available-Indo's are cheap= $18---imports are $25
percs-ocellaris-wild-very nice-must QT- $20
percs-ocellaris-TR-even nicer-usually very clean-great color pattern- $15
When wanting pairs, double and add $10---usually
Gramma-easily obtainable-great color-a bit of a beast- $18
As for the Cuban! oh ah yea, no. I wish. Always nice to dream. But can't hurt to ask my vendor.
Hog-awsome hardy fish-may clash with the gramma-have not seen one in a few-used to get them a lot-still available, though- $50-$60- I think I should get some. Everyone seems to love them
4line-$40ish last time I had them-feel like the same complication could arise with the gramma- I will look for some
swallowtail-only had a few over the years-a wow fish-$60 if I can find her-needs quiet time and dark place-very submissive fish-finiki eater
Tennenti-one of my favs-I have a baby in the 1st ten footer-started at 1.5 inch and now a solid 4. Pretty hardy and food aggressive- I see them from time to time-$50-$60
I will see what I can do on the fish I would order at any time. As for the Onyx, Cuban and Swallowtail...if, when and how much are the real questions. Very nice list. Mostly compatible. Some caution with the hog,wrasse and basslet. Of course this is all IMO.
Hope all goes well.

Todd
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
King Starry - I can't recall

King Starry - I can't recall if they had reddish eyes or not. They look like a lawnmower, nothing like a true starry, but are very mottled in appearance and they appear to have a lot more "tassles". They have the same appearance as a tasslefish, but look like a lawnmower too. This is a must have fish.

As for the clowns, I'm sorry to hear about the onyx clowns, that sucks. I'll pass on that. I'm really looking for an eye catching darker orange coloration with nice, definitive black bordered white stripes. The kind of clown when you see it you're like "damn, that's a good looking clownfish". They can be percs or ocellaris. I'm not into snowflakes, or picasso's or anything like that. They don't need to be a bonded pair - that will happen over time.

I didn't realize the swallowtail was skittish. I'm looking for an active open water fish with good color. I'm a fan of the Lamark's Angel as well. Thoughts? I'd like to avoid the more shy fish if possible.

I'm at a toss-up between the hog and the 4-line. Which would be more compatible with decorative shrimps? I really don't think either is...

No Dejongi huh? LOL! I could only imagine how much that animal would be.

Tennenti - again, a must have animal. This will be my boss / show fish.

Let's shoot for the weekend of the 28th. I'll be looking for the King Starry and a pair of clowns - somewhere in the $65 range to start off. I'll think about the wrasse, hog and basslet situation.

Thanks for your help bro.

Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
good call

Yea, it is the same starry. I went ahead and ordered a couple for tomorrows arrival. I know you are not ready, but i can get them again. I am sure they will go over well.
I am getting some true percs on next weeks order. I plan on putting them in the new fish system, after a dip of course. I run a lower level of copper in that system, just to knock off any residual. I will see how they come in and let you know. I have been getting the occ's (tr) regularly and have not lost even one. They are small to small medium, so color is not fully developed. You can tell they will mature nicely. Always an option.
The lamark would be a great choice, IMO. I have always liked them.
You have plenty of time on the hog, etc...
Now the Tennenti, a great show fish! I would wait for that one.

Give me a friendly reminder a week or so before the 28th and I will see whats going on in LA. Keep checking the weekly stock report. I will be updating it regularly.

poormanisme
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
jeff, if you get a nice,

jeff,
if you get a nice, small, male blue throat trigger in your shipment tomorrow please let me know.

thanks
scott

Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
ok

I will post up the new stock list along with what is already here.