For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Macro Lens

3 replies [Last post]
jdavison
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Hey Nate and all picture taking people. I just got a Sony Alpha 300 and want to get a macro so I can take some nicer pictures of my corals. Any suggestions on something nice but not 1000.00. I have an 18 x 55 and heard that I can get a spacer for the lens that would allow me to take even closer shots, is this a true statement and will it work as an inexpensive solution?

Tankless! 500 gallon main with 400 gallons of sump,fuge,growout in the works. Lets go to FLA!!!!

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Not that knowledgeable ofo

Not that knowledgeable ofo Sony lenses......but for lenses in general.......a 50mm or even a 70mm fixed focal length lens will do you well. Of course the higher dollar lenses will have larger aperatures....cited as the reciprocal "f-stop". You want an f-stop as low as you can afford. I have a 50mm lens with a 1.4 f-stop and it takes some nice photos. Inquire as to what the magnification of the lens is as it is not usually cited.....but most camera geeks will know in the shop. I am still learning how to take better photos. It is truly an art.....one that I have yet to get good at.

The enemy of good enough is better.

kdan2159
kdan2159's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Whats up Patrick

Hey Patrick, its been a while since I last talked to you. Yea the 50mm 1.4 is what I use on all my pics. very fast lens with no flash needed. the body is a Nikon D80. set to manual ISO 100, this lens is smooth, but also the 50mm 1.8 isn't bad eather. for a fraction of the cost of the 1.4.

jdavison
User offline. Last seen 5 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
I know what you mean Patrick.

I know what you mean Patrick. I bet I have taken 300 shots in the last 2 weeks just of the tank and corals just trying to figure out the darn thing. I look at all the nice photos of corals, fish and tanks and I expect to be able to do the same thing, I have the equipment, I have the owners manual and books, but darn if I can get the same quality. My little lens just isnt enough. I will look at the 50 and 70mm lens. Thanks

Tankless! 500 gallon main with 400 gallons of sump,fuge,growout in the works. Lets go to FLA!!!!