For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Percs in QT

12 replies [Last post]
TommyG
User offline. Last seen 2 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

I got a couple of percs on Wed and 1 has died since then. I'm clueless as to why because he was happily swimming near the top of the water before I left for school Thurs morning. I come home from school less than 3 hours later and he/she is laying upside down on the bottom. When I got the fishes, I acclimated them in a bucket using a drop system for 35 minutes (I would have done 45-50 if I wasn't running late to work already). The parameters were this the day before I got them: temp 80, ph 8.3 day, amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, phos 0, alk 14. The alk was 13 the day I got them. I just tested again and everything is the same except the ph is 8.2 and the alk is 12. The perc that is still alive looks like he/she is breathing faster than normal and is swimming in place at the bottom corner of the tank for the most part. Hasn't ate since I got them. I've tried a mixture of frozen brine shrimp and mysis. Any ideas/thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated. I also started treating the tank with cupramine after noticing the fish was dead and that the other one had some white spots on its head.

Jubeii (not verified)
dang

Dang man, I hope that other fish comes through, but I'm not going to lie.. it doesn't look good! Sad
The 75 is looking hella sweet so far!

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
You likely have fish that are

You likely have fish that are infected with Cryptocaryon irritans (crypt) or Amyloodinium ocellatum (velvet)......slight chance it could be Brooklynella hostilis.....would need a good picture to help you ID more correctly. All of these parasites will attach to gill rakes and cause the fish to not exchange gases well and limit their ability to excrete ammonia......they can kill rather quickly as a result. It is sad, but does happen. That is why you get the gold star for QUARANTINING the fish......absolutely great job. I really wish more folks would do so.

The first two....crypt and velvet are best treated with copper....like you are doing. Brooklynella is best treated with formaldehyde.....but it usually kills so fast that if treatment is instituted upon symptoms.....it is many times too late. In fact, clowns infected with Brooklynella usually die before they even get to the LFS.....so treating for the first 2 in the face of uncertainty is always best.

I am greatly sorry for your loss and hope that you are able to save the remaining fish. I would greatly recommend getting some Prime or Amquel and make sure you are testing the copper levels to keep it at 0.3 -0.5 ppm .....with cupramine only......other coppers you should follow the recommendations or try to keep it at 0.2 ppm.

Good luck.

The enemy of good enough is better.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
percs in QT

Keep at it Tommy, it's not unheard of to lose a fish in QT. I got a Powder Blue from Jeff a few months ago, right outta the bag from the distributor, and it died in QT a day later - salinity was right on and ammonia / nitrite were 0, it just happens sometimes.

I've had great success with cupramine when I kept the concentration within the parameters that Patrick listed above.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

TommyG
update

Fish is dead.... The salinity was 1.024 btw. Gonna be awhile before I get some more. Disappointment and lack of funds will keep it that way. I have some pics of the fish and 75G I'll be putting up within the next few days. Need to setup a photobucket account too.

Jubeii (not verified)
sad

Sad

white0nr1ce
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Well hey you could fit a lot

Well hey you could fit a lot of fish in that tank and in general the first couple you buy aren't too expensive. At least it wasn't a $100 dollar fish or a tank full. Sorry about the clowns.

&
8g biocube

jdavison
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear that.

Tankless! 500 gallon main with 400 gallons of sump,fuge,growout in the works. Lets go to FLA!!!!

Brian
Brian's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
sorry man. we all lose fish

sorry man. we all lose fish from time to time for no appearant reason. the blackhole effect is what we call it. sometimes the blackhole just swallows ur fish or coral and it disapears 4ever and sometimes the blackhole's magnectic rays are just strong enough to kill the fish but not pull it into it's warp. black holes strike at any time and in any kind of tank even a DISCUS tank.

Why yes I am a Reefer! Are you? Check Out my tank here: http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/05/06/brian-and-jaimes-120-reef

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
(

Sad(

The enemy of good enough is better.

TommyG
Pic

Finally got my photobucket account.

Not the best pic, but not the best camera either! This was the second perc deceased.