For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

My 210 gallon reef

171 replies [Last post]
klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Well, after a year, I feel like I have no room in the 58g. I ran across a good deal, and had to take advantage of it. This is my new 210 gallon tank.
It is 72"x30"x24"

There is much to be done, and purchased. This will be a slow build, mostly due to needing all new equipment as my 58g stuff is too small.
First, the tank is heavy Shock Thanks Chris for helping me bring it home, and My brother and Brian for helping me lift it at different times.

When I got the tank home, I decided I wanted to redo the stand and hood. Here are some shots of what I was dealing with:
Original wood slat design was not too appealing

water damage to hood

Bad wiring job (butt connectors not sealed, wires corroding)

I decided I wanted a more modern looking stand painted black
The ends got a new look, cabinet grade covering with new trim

New door supports were made, new shelf inside stand and a good coat of primer and paint

Then I finally decided to just completely build a new hood. It is a tall hood, but I did this to have room to adjust the light height and have good access to the tank. The tank wall is big enough that the tall look works for me.

I sanded the tank trim and painted it black

I had Brian and Jaime put in a new 20A circuit with a GFCI dedicated to the fish tank

I have three 400w metal halide light fixtures. The ballast are about 17lbs each, and huge. Where to put them... Under the tank, too much heat. Next to the tank, too much room to sacrifice. I decided to put a shelf behind the hood. I got 3-500lbs brackets and lag bolted them to the studs (yeah, probably overkill, but 60 lbs of high voltage over 210 gallons of water made me nervous).

Not really visible from the normal viewing level

For now, this is what I have

I will be making doors for the stand and hood (eventually).
My wish list and things to do include:
RO/DI unit
1 VorTech MP40W or 2 VorTech MP20
Reef Octopus NWB 200 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer or asm g-4
130 more lbs of live rock
3 new 400w 14k bulbs
2 new actinic 39w t-5 bulbs
Reef controler (not sure which one yet)

Like I said, be prepared for slow progress on this build, but I will get her done.

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

klieb70
klieb70's picture
Size matter

Just thought this was a completely disproportionate representation of the size of the new tank to the old... I like it!

I forgot to mention the nearly 80 gallon sump that came with the tank

Returns on either side, next to refugiums (one per side) that drain into a skimmer section then the return.

The tank has fresh water in it for now, just wanted to make sure it was water worthy...lol

jdavison
User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
I am glad to see that you

I am glad to see that you have started the big tank build. Things are looking real nice, I love the black stand and canopy. Nice and slow builds means we will get alot of pictures, cool.

One thing if I may. You said you wanted to add a mp40 or 2 mp20's well I had a long talk with the guys from vortech at the show about adding mp's to my tank and they recommended 2 mp 40 set up so one would run at min then ramp up to full and then switch. The mp40's will push about 2/3 lenght of the tank at full power. I also sat in on a flow seminar and the person doing that said the goal was to get a power head that would push atleast 1/2 the length of the tank and let it run for 1-2 hours so a good complete circular flow developes from top to bottom. I could go on for ever about the stuff I learned up north but that would take up half your build thread. I can talk to you more about it at Chris's get together if you want to.

Once again nice looking start.

Tankless! 500 gallon main with 400 gallons of sump,fuge,growout in the works. Lets go to FLA!!!!

klieb70
klieb70's picture
always looking for

always looking for new advice. I was trying to avoid the $1k price tag on 2 40s but it that is what I should do, then I will. We will talk about what you learned. Thanks.

Brian
Brian's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
i think you have made some

i think you have made some fast progress. everything is looking good.

Why yes I am a Reefer! Are you? Check Out my tank here: http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/05/06/brian-and-jaimes-120-reef

curlykid
curlykid's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
BOO-TEE-FULL!

BOO-TEE-FULL!

Dakman
User offline. Last seen 3 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Wow thats a beast!! Very

Wow thats a beast!! Very nice.

steve58
steve58's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
i can

i can only dream of the day i can go that big, but ill get there one piece at a time,

Steve

Dakman
lol

same here, but i think i'll need a bigger house for something like that first!!

klieb70
klieb70's picture
The dream

It is a slow process, a little bit here, a little bit there. As far as room, I had a 100g and my 58g set up in a 1 bedroom loft apartment. Big smile
My house now is not huge. I do have cathedral ceiling which gives the impression of a bigger space.
It (the tank) does, however, make my living room look kinda small...lol

Dakman
I know what ya mean, if it

I know what ya mean, if it werent for my vaulted ceiling my 110 canopy would just be too big, as it is between the tank and the canopy they take up half the wall both length and height wise, good thing my living room is long, kindda helps keep the cramped feeling down Laughing out loud