For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Quarantine

33 replies [Last post]
TommyG
User offline. Last seen 2 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

I'll be looking to start my 75G DT and 20G QT in 3 1/2 weeks and was wondering everyone's quarantine habits. Other than adding water, live sand, and live rock, when do I start to introduce inverts, fish, and corals? I know after the tank cycles (4-6 weeks), but what's a typical timeline for starting up a QT and DT and when 'stuff' is added. Do I quarantine everything separate? I notice a lot of you add fish/corals when you get them (or maybe it seems that way) so I was just wondering what habits everyone had. I'd hate to have fish die on me and money wasted by not taking the proper steps to ensure optimal water quality and fish care. Any thoughts are welcome.

BTW, I'm with sm1, one day I would like to frag my corals so learning how would be awesome. It seems like fraggin is almost a certainty to reduce overpopulation.

Tommy

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Ahhhh....one of my favorite

Ahhhh....one of my favorite topics.....

I kindly direct you to:

http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/04/28/quarantine-qtjust-do-it

The enemy of good enough is better.

Tyler
Tyler's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
IMO...not to diagree with you

IMO...not to diagree with you patrick but if you have the time, money, and effort to set up a QT tank then go ahead and do it but Me personaly. I don't QT any of my fish but thats me. I think it is better to QT sertain fish but i dont think that you dont really need to have a QT set up.

*My Tanks
My father and I have a 1,000gal. system, that includes: 375, 175 ,125, 75, 3-33, and 30 gallon aquariums. With a 125 and 55gal. sump, which are two separte tanks that are joined together. We also have a 150gal. tank as its own aquarium.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
QT equipment

Tommy - I personally use a 20L, glass cover, aquaclear 70, flouresent strip light and a heater. Brand new the whole setup will cost you around $120 -

I like the aquaclear HOB filters because they use a sponge pre-filter and biomax filter media - both of these can be placed in the sump of your DT to populate them with the necessary bacteria.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

TommyG
User offline. Last seen 2 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Not sure if you're familiar

Not sure if you're familiar with the setup Jeff sales, but that's what I got. Being able to buy the entire package in one shot saves me time and maybe a headache. It's not a 20L, just a regular 20 I think, but it cost a little less than what you paid for everything.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
No comment there

Right on brother - can't go wrong when you listen to the expert! I'm sure he set you up proper.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

Brian
Brian's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
it is always best to

it is always best to quarantine corals and fish that way if you get a coral that has red bugs u will hopefully notice it in a few days before it effects all ur corals in main display. and same for fish say it has ich but doesnt show up for a week if it is in your display then u just took a chance of effecting all other fish. a large chunk of us dont quarantine because truthfully we r impatient and not acting properly cautious. i have tried quartine 4 times now and personally for me i have disasterous results for reason i can not understand. i would have new clean water, right salinity, right temp, right ph good flow and lights and still have 50% die on me. so personally i switched to dipping corals and drip acclimation of my fish. and personally that is what works for me. now if a fish starts to show signs of something i will pull it out quick and qt that guy.

Why yes I am a Reefer! Are you? Check Out my tank here: http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/05/06/brian-and-jaimes-120-reef

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Beyond the "whether or not

Beyond the "whether or not you need to QT for your own personal needs and consideratons".....it also comes down to a matter of responsibility. The forums are littered with people who have infested tanks and are asking what to do to treat their fish and corals. Typer may just be one of those lucky ones that gets away without QTing their fish......although I doubt it in todays transport custody chain. I was that guy too for years, but after a few bad bouts with crypt and amyloodinium, I quickly changed my tune. We are ultimately responsible for these fish and inverts being harvested from their gorgeous surroundings to spend a life in a captive system. The vary least we can do is give them the best chance at a healthy and longterm survival. These animals get collected from places we wish we all lived and shipped 15000 miles.... in some cases .....to the USA. They are weakened and stressed. They are susceptible to a host of ailments that they might not otherwise succumb to in their natural environment. QT is the only responsible thing to do. I applaud the fact that you are setting out to learn about it and perform it. You will be happy in the long run that you did it. I have averted many more disasters that laid in weight by being able to spot the parasites and get rid of them in QT before they had a chance to hit the DT.

The enemy of good enough is better.

Schme2
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Just started

I, along with Tyler, didn't qt any fish befor.....but I now qt since my pbt.....it cost me all of $40 for a full set up....at that price is it worth your whole tank NOT to qt???

jdavison
User offline. Last seen 6 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Question for the QT experts.

Question for the QT experts. If you were to purchase a fish from a fellow reefer and knew he had a clean tank would you still QT? Just asking, I am going to QT all my LFS fish but would you recommend doing a QT on above metioned fish? The fish I currently have in my dt are ones that I have had for the past year or I have gotten from fellow reefers. Thanks in advance.

Tankless! 500 gallon main with 400 gallons of sump,fuge,growout in the works. Lets go to FLA!!!!

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
Yes

I would still QT only because I knew for certain that my reef had crypt - the fish didn't show signs of it, but it was there. As long as crypt has a fish host it will be there, regardless of whether or not the fish shows any signs.