For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Anemone problem

61 replies [Last post]
sm1bentley
sm1bentley's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

I don't believe in murder..but I really want this anemone gone. The problem is that this anemone has split (now there are two on this rock) and on the other side is a beautiful yellow polyp colony that I love. The anemone is just too big and starting to "reach out" just a little too close for comfort to other coral...My extremely large mushroom leather in particular. Moving the rock is really not an options because it is just going to reach out to something else.

Any suggestions??

sm1bentley
sm1bentley's picture
Let me just add...Since I am

Let me just add...Since I am new to all this, I may just be overly paranoid about the sting of an anemone. I have been reading alot lately (and yes I know you can't believe everything you read) but its scary to think about how much money I may have to flush down the drain if it decided to go on a killing spree...LOL

Feel free to tell me I am overreacting!

Brian
Brian's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
dont kill the anemone, if he

dont kill the anemone, if he gets to a point where u cant stand him try to sell him or give him away. i cant speak to how much damage he could cause to your corals. mine has touched corals and they never were bothered by it. on the other hand their sting definitley effects fish.

Why yes I am a Reefer! Are you? Check Out my tank here: http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/05/06/brian-and-jaimes-120-reef

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
If it were another type of

If it were another type of anemone......then you might just well be justified in your paranoia. I have and have had many BTAs over the years and I have never had them even discolor my SPS. Others claim to have had that happen. I am quite certain that you should be fine with it encroaching towards the octocorals you cited.....yellow star polyps and the toadstool/sarcophyton coral. BTAs are one of the safest anemones to have and can usually be managed in a full blown reef much easier because they are less noxious. I have seen yellow star polyps and green star polyps do in way more SPS colonies than BTAs have ....that is for sure. Personally, I would leave it and watch it. If you start to notice problems.....then you can get someone over to carefully and methodically pry that nem off. It will not just wipe out either one of those corals in a day or even a week. All you might see is some localized retraction. It is not like a nematocyst from the BTA is gonna touch either one of its neighbors and the whole colony or coral will just die. It doesn't work that way. It is a very nice BTA and adds a color to the scheme that you are not gonna get with too many corals of size. Enjoy it and stop fearing it.

Good luck.

The enemy of good enough is better.

sm1bentley
sm1bentley's picture
Ok then, I will mark this up

Ok then, I will mark this up as me being a nervous "new parent" who just needs to relax a bit....LOL

Thanks

jdavison
User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
You have a real nice BTA.

You have a real nice BTA. Just let him wander around until he finds his spot, he wont hurt much as the above post have stated. Patrick is 100% correct, you wont find anything that can compair to a nice bubble tip adding color and movement to a tank and yours looks real nice. If you dont want both of them due to the split I will buy one from you.

Tankless! 500 gallon main with 400 gallons of sump,fuge,growout in the works. Lets go to FLA!!!!

sm1bentley
sm1bentley's picture
Question...Is there a way to

Question...Is there a way to move/remove the anemone from the rock that its attached to without killing it?

Right now I have one that is on its own rock off to the side of the tank and not really an issue. The other side of the tank is where the other one/two are. So I guess I now have three.

It's not that I don't like them (especially now that you all have told me that there really isn't much to worry about), I just don't want a tank full of them! I would love to keep one but lose the one (in the picture) if possible.

Thanks

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
nem removal

I have been told to "massage" the foot until it lets go, and that an ice cube rubbed on the food will cause it to let go. I have not done either of these, and would suggest doing a little research on either method before attempting.

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 18 weeks ago. Offline
The ice cube trick doesn't

The ice cube trick doesn't really work that well because it is only ice for about ten seconds until it melts in the 80 degree water. I used to touch mine with my hand and rub around the foot. I also held a powerhead up to it and held the rock it was on upside down to make it uncomfortable. It may take about 10 - 20 minutes but eventually it will let go. Once you see part of it let go, gently massage the foot there with your finger and don't let the detached part hook back up with the rock. The main thing is to not rip the foot so take your time. If you are local to va beach and need some help, send me a PM. I would be ahppy to show you how.

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

sm1bentley
sm1bentley's picture
I think you're

I think you're right...patience is the key. I think I got the smaller one off because it had just moved itself and hadn't had time to really settle in.... but that still took about 30-40 minutes. I felt like I didn't have enough hands. After a while that rock got really heavy and I kept having to adjust it because the other anemone was on the other side. I think next time I attempt it, I will do a little better on the prep work.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 18 weeks ago. Offline
It helps if you bring the

It helps if you bring the rock the anemone is on to the flow of the powerhead versus holding the rock in one hand and the powerhead in the other.

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.