For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Brightwell Salt

11 replies [Last post]
Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

The salt is now available. I have plenty.

Having a seemingly unreachable vision. Working extremely arduous against all odds. Embracing and protecting the vision turned reality. Living the dream.
Life is not so bad after all.

curlykid
curlykid's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
I need more salt, I'll have

I need more salt, I'll have to get some tomorrow. thanks Jeff.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 41 weeks ago. Offline
Is Brightwell salt any better

Is Brightwell salt any better quality than say Instant Ocean salt?

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

Reef Chief
Reef Chief's picture
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
ohh yea

Test are coming back excellent across the board. I will put up the sample test in a bit

Having a seemingly unreachable vision. Working extremely arduous against all odds. Embracing and protecting the vision turned reality. Living the dream.
Life is not so bad after all.

Karl
User offline. Last seen 3 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
BW salt

Dose it mix quicker and better than any of the other stuff that we have had in the shop? I mean some of it took a good bit to mix it up and then there were some that dissolved as soon as it touched water with none left on the bottom.

Measure twice cut once

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
mixing -

It mixes almost as quickly as Oceanic - at least in my house - with a mag 9.5 in the bucket.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
Test Data

Just did a test today - 150 gallons of Brightwell, 50 gallons of Oceanic, has been in the tank for about a week - and I haven't dosed anything yet. Just coral and rock in there right now.

Alk - 3.5 ~ 9.8dkh
Calcium - 420
Mag - 1250
pH - lights out - 8.1
Strontium - ?? - to lazy to run the test

The mag is impressive when compared with other salts - I've had a very difficult time keeping mag above 1000 with Kent, Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals in the past. Seems like Brightwell is doing the trick!

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

tcarroll
User offline. Last seen 4 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
What does the Brightwell go

What does the Brightwell go for?

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
Brightwell

Last time I got a bucket it was something like $75 -

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
I use 1/2 reef crystals and

I use 1/2 reef crystals and 1/2 oceanic and my test results: pH-8.2, Ca++ - 430, Mg++ - 1270

When I used 1/2 regualar tropic marin and oceanic, I got: pH-8.3, Ca++ - 450, and Mg++ - 1350

I have never gotten great results like that without mixing....something would always be off somewhere.

Have never used Brightwell.....it did not exist until after I left. It will take quite a bit though to get me away from Tropic Marin.

The enemy of good enough is better.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
Brightwell

When it mixes up it looks about the same as your Reef crystals/Oceanic mix - at least from my last test results. I have run another batch of tests next time I make some water up since I found my Mag / Alk kit to be reading a little off.