For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Help with coral nipping fish...or is it me...

28 replies [Last post]
ishot811
ishot811's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

I have my 20gal display with 10gal sump that’s been running since March of this year. Some of you have seen it in my build thread. I’ve had some good luck with corals and some bad. I’m at a point now where I need to ask a question that I really think is the problem.

My tank currently has about 40 lbs LR with a 2 head hammer; sun polyps; zoos; birds nest (not doing good); trumpets (that haven’t grown in 4 months); and about 4 different mushrooms. There is also a leather tree, and a type of gorgonian. The stock is a bi-color blenny, cleaner shrimp, two clowns, and 4 bluefin damsels.

At Jeff’s sale on Friday, I bought a beautiful acan and a yellow gorgonian. The acan was open the first day and even the next morning. I went golfing and when I got home I noticed the acan was not open and being nipped at by one of the damsels. It looked really stressed as does my other gorgonian and trumpets.

I’m wondering if Damsels are known to nip at certain corals or is there something else I need to check?

Lights are T5 VHO (2 10000k, 2 actinics)
Temp – 78-79
Other levels are normal.

Thanks,
John

IShot811
(It's a bowling thing)
37 gal Eclipse 3 F/W with T5 retro-fit
20 gal long F/W community
20 gal S/W w-10gal sump "20 gal Build Thread"
http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/04/26/my-20gal-buildstep-stepsort

Brian
Brian's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
i'd have to say with the

i'd have to say with the issues u r having with the coral there has to be a main issue that can effect all of them, i would rule out fish unless it was just a few corals, i would suspect water quality, temperture issue, ph or salinity issue or even lighting issue. my best quess would be water chemistry issue.

Why yes I am a Reefer! Are you? Check Out my tank here: http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/05/06/brian-and-jaimes-120-reef

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Lights

How old are your bulbs? What brand?

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

Marshellman (not verified)
Its the fish

Get him out now it is the fish .I did have two of them ,they will clean you out.They love to eat soft coral.Look at my tank photos !!!!!!!

white0nr1ce
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Does that mean if I have zoas

Does that mean if I have zoas & green star polyps it'd be a bad idea to get a damsel, or is it that type of damsel with that type of coral that's a bad mix? I've been wanting one of the little black and white striped guys but I've invested in coral and I'd be mad if a four dollar fish destroyed it all.

&
8g biocube

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
damsels

white0nr1ce wrote:
Does that mean if I have zoas & green star polyps it'd be a bad idea to get a damsel, or is it that type of damsel with that type of coral that's a bad mix? I've been wanting one of the little black and white striped guys but I've invested in coral and I'd be mad if a four dollar fish destroyed it all.

Save yourself the hassle of having to remove them from your tank later and select anther fish. Many of us were loured by the pretty color and cheap price only to pull our hair out trying to get them out of a mature tank. Most damsels will get very aggressive and territorial. If you're liking the price of them and the heartiness try tank raised perc clowns or chromis.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

white0nr1ce
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks alot. Sounds like

Thanks alot. Sounds like you're saving me a lot of trouble! Smile

&
8g biocube

Brian
Brian's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
i didnt know that about those

i didnt know that about those damsels, good to know

Why yes I am a Reefer! Are you? Check Out my tank here: http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/05/06/brian-and-jaimes-120-reef

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
bluefin -

Soft coral is part of their diet in the wild - if you like the look of the little guys trade them in for some chromis.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 35 weeks ago. Offline
If you already caught them

If you already caught them eating one coral then I would get rid of them if you plan on keeping coral. Coral is too expensive to gamble with.

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

Marshellman (not verified)
Black

Also when they get older they turn black.