For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Tang Vs. Anemone

42 replies [Last post]
Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 28 weeks ago. Offline

Well, I found out the hard way that Blue Hippos and Rose Anemones don't get along together. I bought a Hippo last night and she was doing great in the tank last night and this morning when the lights first turned on. I came back just a hour later to feed everybody and there was no sign of her anywhere. After looking for about ten minutes I spotted her down in a hole in a rock under my RBTA. I touched "Dory" to make her come out of the hole and she didn't move. I pulled her out of the rock and she was dead with a big white spot on her side. Her eyes had also changed from being completely black to Sky Blue with small black pupils. There were no marks on her except for the big white mark on her side so the only way she could have died that fast is from an anemone sting. I am now considering selling both the anemone and my two clowns. It really sucks to lose a $40 fish after one day but you live and you learn. Anyway, here are some before and after pics of "Dory".

Before:

After:

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

jdavison
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Mike sorry for your quick

Mike sorry for your quick loss. What size tank do you have. I have a 215 cycling and I have a small blue hippo and going to get a rbta. Like to find out what others say, Patrick give us the scoop. Were did you get her. I'm not sure that a rbta would kill a hippo, not sure. Going to tag along.

Tankless! 500 gallon main with 400 gallons of sump,fuge,growout in the works. Lets go to FLA!!!!

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
I got it from Pet N Things in

I got it from Pet N Things in Norfolk. I don't blame them at all. I checked her out for a half hour before deciding to buy her. She was perfectly healthy with no spots, discoloration, or damage to her. She was swimming around great this morning checking everything out. 30 minutes later she was dead in a live rock hole under my RBTA. She didn't show any signs of stress such as fast breathing, staying at the bottom of the tank, or not eating at all last night or this morning. She loved the mysis shrimp I fed her last night. The anemone is the only thing I think could have killed her in 30 minutes flat. There were no signs of damage other than a white discoloration seen in the picture.

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

curlykid
curlykid's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
That fricken sucks, hope your

That fricken sucks, hope your nem got a spankin'! This one commersial on TV said that a way to save water is to put your dead fish in the trash instead of the pooper. Did you do the enviromentaly safe alternitive? You should be glad that he died, that was a stupid tang.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
No, I figured she deserved a

No, I figured she deserved a proper flush burial. My trash can was nearly empty and I didn't want to smell up the joint.

jdavison
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
That just sucks. I have a

That just sucks. I have a young pair of clowns and need something for them to hang out in when the tank gets done cycling along with the blue, and all the other young tangs thats going to go in it. Going to keep an eye on this one.

Tankless! 500 gallon main with 400 gallons of sump,fuge,growout in the works. Lets go to FLA!!!!

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Sorry for your loss

Sorry for the loss Mike. How long did Pets N Things have the tang in a tank? How long did you acclimate? etc. It may have just been stressed from the move to the store, then your tank if it was within a few days. The Nem wasn't eating the hippo was it? Maybe it was sick, and the nem stung it? Don't give up on the nem & clowns, sometimes this stuff happens.
I would really love to have a hippo, but I am going to wait until I get the bigger tank set up.

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
They said they got her in

They said they got her in about two weeks ago and when i took her home I drip acclimated her for a 2 hours. Like I said, she didn't show any signs of stress during the acclimation or while in my tank. I had one a few years ago and it hid for a couple days as soon as I put it in my tank but this one went exploring the tank after about a 1/2 hour in. She was tearing up the mysis when I put it in. She even scared off my female maroon for a piece of mysis. I tested and all of my parameters are great and my clowns are too. I am still thinking about the clowns and RBTA. I am going to go to Nags head tonight and give myself some time to think about it. I'm definitely not giving up on my Reef, but I might switch to some perculas and anemone substitute. I'll have to think about it.

mrbait
User offline. Last seen 4 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry for your loss. How big

Sorry for your loss. How big is the nem? I have never seen a fish get stung by a nem so I don't know what mark is left from the sting. I have 3 RBTA , 2 GBTA, and 1 Ritteri with fish other than clowns. One RBTA and the Ritteri are dinner plate size. Those are pretty fish. Good luck with the next one.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
My RBTA is about the size of

My RBTA is about the size of a cantaloupe and its tentacles are about 6" long and very sticky.

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry for your loss. I would

Sorry for your loss. I would be extremely surprised if a BTA killed the hippo.....their sting is just not that potent. I have 2 large BTAs in my 55 and almost all of the fish come near those nematocysts several times a day....including the hippo. They don't even flinch. Not totally discounting your hypothesis just that I have had several BTAs over the years and never had a fish loss that I could attribute to them. Now I did have to remove my pizza anemone because it did consume a sailfin tang......but BTAs are really pretty benign. I have not even had problems with them stinging my corals.

Best of luck and...again....sorry for the loss.....I really love hippos.

The enemy of good enough is better.