For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Ricordia Splitting

11 replies [Last post]
klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Does anyone know if it is unusual for Ricordias to have multiple mouths, and not split? I have some with 4 mouths, and show no signs of splitting.

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

dkoernert
dkoernert's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
It should split eventually. I

It should split eventually. I had one with three mouths and it ended up splitting after a while.

curlykid
curlykid's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Could you imagine having FOUR

Could you imagine having FOUR mouths. FREAKY

Woody (not verified)
LOL.....I have one that has 5

LOL.....I have one that has 5 mouths. I've wondered for a long time if it will eventually split.

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
LOL I am getting fat enough

LOL I am getting fat enough with one mouth....if I had more mouths I'd have 4 chins.

It may very well be a prelude to splitting. Generally the separate mouths form and then they work away from each other and then pinch off in between the mouths to form a new animal. This process can very but it generally can take some time. Try target feeding them to speed up the growth process and therefore maybe the splitting process.

The enemy of good enough is better.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
in-laws

I think the women on my wife's side of the family have four mouths - I don't think people can talk that much and that loud with just one.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

curlykid
curlykid's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
you got that right patrick.

you got that right patrick.

mikeit83 (not verified)
I actually fed my ric's on

I actually fed my ric's on accident the other day. I was holding some mysis and it slipped and fell right on him. The ric puffed up and extended his mouth and "sniffed" out the food and ate it. Shortly after he split on his own.

If he has 4 mouths, give him 4 slices with a sharp blade. Use Jeff's xenia chisel removal method to get them off the rock. (carefully). Slice them up and then rubber band them lightly to a rock. Super glue doesnt work well because they secrete something that will make them let go of the glue.

doubleduece
doubleduece's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
If he has no where to go he

If he has no where to go he wont split, I have some with three mouths, for about a year now, he has no where to go cuz he is surrounded.....

If I would of killed wife when I first met her, Id be out of jail by now....

GET SOME!!!!!

stibsrox
stibsrox's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
ive seen that

ive seen that they usually have more than one mouth

Dakman
User offline. Last seen 4 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
mine are the same way, most

mine are the same way, most have 3 or 4 mouths, i think cuz they are on their own lil rock that is over ran with them is the reason mine hasnt split. Thinking back now i did see one floating around my tank when i got back that was the size of a dime, but havent seen it in a few days. Must have ran up under a rock somewhere Shock