For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Renew vs. Carbon

15 replies [Last post]
doubleduece
doubleduece's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

I was wondering what everyone else out there is running, and what the pros or cons could be for either. I have bee running renew for the last 6months, previous(year and a half) and ran nothing,,,,nothing. I wasnt until my cabbage leather started to RTN, that Kapt. Kaveman Karl introduced me to the Renew product. The only reason I started to run the Renew was, When I mentioned to Karl my Acans looked mad, due to the chemical warfare that was going on in my tank due to the leather, he recomended on or the other, the other was Renew and it was in stock. I must say 24hrs later my tank looked much better(kudos Kaveboy).

So what say, you??????

If I would of killed wife when I first met her, Id be out of jail by now....

GET SOME!!!!!

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 35 weeks ago. Offline
What does Renew do?

What does Renew do for your tank?

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
When stateside, I run carbon

When stateside, I run carbon for 3 weeks then give a 3 week break, then on again. I like carbon, I know what it is, it is affordable and is proven....at least to me....to provide the water and chemical clarity I desire. Renew is another "magic" product where.....due to proprietary concerns I am sure....the exact chemical construct is not made known. It is touted as a "less aggressive" form of carbon and SeaChem claims that it works on the "sub-micron" level. They also offer that is lasts 4-6 weeks and will not remove trace elements. FWIW, I think too many folks need the most aggressive form of carbon there is and unless you are someone with poor husbandry skills who adds no balanced or trace element supplementation (water changes count) then my personal opinion is that carbon is better. My fav brand of carbon was by SeaChem......but I like the Reef Carbon...which they no longer offer. Any activated, non-phosphoric acid washed carbon is a good deal though and safe to use. I do not run it continuously as some corals can benefit from a little dissolved organics.....just not too many. SeaChem is a good company and I am not maligning their claims.....just they are not what most hobbyists find to be true. Carbon rarely lasts for 4-6 weeks if dosed according to directions.....more like 2 maybe 3. It does not raise pH or deplete trace elements to a degree that it is noticeable. Aquarium hobbyists are a quirky bunch as most of us have learned by now. Many will grab on to ideas and run with them. There are a great deal of myths and unproven claims that many wholeheartedly base alot of what they do in their tanks off of. SeaChem and others are in business to make money and truly help aquarists along the way. If they have a group of folks that think carbon is a potential harm then they need to market a product for those folks to "Renew" their interest in purchasing chemical media for their aquariums. I am sure that it is a solid product as SeaChem is a good company. Renew is geared for the folks who have planted aquariums......the very ones who would not want things the plants need to grow removed.....carbon does do that. I think the reef folks and the trace element thing are thrown in for cast a wider net for the product and the market it is after. I could go on, but my point is, I personally think carbon is a fine product to use, using it on and off as I mentioned is touted by many and works and it can help keep cleaner and clearer water. Any downsides to using carbon are miniscule to the upsides. Unless you are a one water change a year and no supplementation during that time kind of aquarist.....I would recommend carbon for sure. If you are that kind of aquarist, then it is unlikely you'll read this or anything at all really.....let alone care one way or the other.

All in all, carbon is my choice over these other resin based products. Not that the other products are bad......just look at their prices though and you be your own judge. Jeff sells....I'm sure as he certainly used to......some really good carbon. Go with that.

The enemy of good enough is better.

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Since we are on topic...

Since we are on topic... Carbon
How do you place it in your tank? I don't have a seperate section to add it... Can I just put it in a mesh bag?
Is brand of carbon important?
Thanks.

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Yeah, I didn't read that as

Yeah, I didn't read that as thoroughly as I thought the first time... See, I missed this whole line: "Any activated, non-phosphoric acid washed carbon is a good deal though and safe to use"
So Ixnay on the randbay uestionqay...
Guess that is what I get for trying to read before coffee...

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

Patrick
Patrick's picture
Carbon is best used....as is

Carbon is best used....as is any resin or media....if it can be fluidized to prevent channeling and preventing much of the media from being exposed to the water flow and therefore minimizing its effectiveness. It still works if just used in a mesh bag, but I would recommend jostling it daily to make sure that any areas that are locked in from exposure to the flow of new water.....and therefore the pollutants in it.......get exposure so that the carbon can pull out the junk.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 35 weeks ago. Offline
Mesh Bag

Would it work if I put as mesh bag of carbon inside of my HOB Filter at the bottom and shake it up every day or two?

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Carbon

Depending on the type of HOB filter you're using it is essentially fluidized. Items like the Aquaclear models are user configurable and allow you to run mechanical, chemical and biological all in one where all the water has to flow through each item before it reaches the next. Patrick is talking about an item like the Kent Phos Reactor which is a canister where water gets pumped down through a tube and into a chamber beneath a filter media, the water is then forced through the media and out the top. By moving water through the media this way you'll utilize as much of it as possible. The reason it's better then a mesh bag is that the media only flows over and around the bag, the media in the center of the bag really doesn't see much flow.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

Patrick
Patrick's picture
Bingo.....said even better

Bingo.....said even better than I did...I think anyway.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
Bingo -

I learned it by watching you....

And by all the really stupid mistakes that I've made - I can guarantee you that I've used HOB items, put bags in my sump, bought inferior lights, filled my tank from the tap, used an undersized skimmer, not quarantined and hoped for "snake oil" products to fix my problems!

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
Chemi-pure elite

I've used Chemi-pure in the past and have noticed a difference - I just threw a few bags in my filter sock. I did find that my water quality was a bit better after a longer period of time. They claim you never need another water change - but I don't want to be the test bed on that one!