For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

At what age do Clownfish become male or female?

20 replies [Last post]
Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 28 weeks ago. Offline

At what age do Clownfish become male or female? I was just wondering because I have 2 three month old gold stripe maroons and they are constantly fighting. They seem to have calmed down some since they started hosting the 2 anemones I added to the tank, but they still nip at each other. I read online that they will fight until they determine who will be the female. I was just wondering how long the battle will continue in my tank. Thanks for any help.

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

Schme2
User offline. Last seen 2 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
When they grow up

I have had my 2 clarkii's for a couple of years and they recently have chose the destiny. The female has grown much larger and colors richened up on her. They don't pick with each other anymore and have started hosting the same anemone. So I couldn't really tell you how long, but what I have experianced.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
Cool

Yeah mine still pick at each other but they do host both of my anemones and they seem to stay within a few inches of each other at all times. I guess time will tell. As soon as I know they are definitely male and female, I will post up how long it took them. They were born sometime around Valentines Day 2009 so I will gauge off of that. Thanks for the input though.

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
I missed this thread somehow.

I missed this thread somehow. With my plans to breed extensively when I return home I have researched this quite a bit.

As far as maturing from hatchling fry to female.....this cam occur in the span of months.....like 4-6. This is part of the rationale to try and get clowns as small as feasible but manageable to pair them off. Now, they may not become sexually mature and lay eggs for you until the 18-24 month mark, but developing into a female can occur long before then. Of course, you have already realized or read that all clownfish are born male and the dominant male turns female. Once they make the switch there is no going back.....even if a more dominant female is introduced. Fishbase references a source that cites that their average size at maturation is 4.4 cm. Feeding and stress obviously play a large part into growth and this is the main reason for such a span of when these developmental milestones occur. There is another source that cites at least a year gap. Long and short of it though is that expectations before 2 years of age for breeding results are unrealistic. Also, diet will play a big role in egg production and viability.

I have 3 paired sets of clowns now that I plan to bring back with me. Over the last 8 months I have watched one of them go from an inch in size to 3-4 inches. She is a tough customer too......she is the one that bites. Beautiful clown though. In fact, the only reason I collected her was because she was so striking.

The enemy of good enough is better.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
Cool

I got my two maroons when they were about two months old and they were about 3/4" in size. They have only grown about a 1/4" in a months time but their color and features have developed alot since I got them. They started off hanging out a few inches apart from each other and they explored the tank together, but since the introduction of the anemones they are now hosting, they constantly are competing for food and nipping at each other and never go more than a few inches away from the anemones(even when I feed them). The first week the anemones were put in there they were fighting so bad that I took one of the out and quarantined him for a few hours. Since I put him back the two still fight but maybe only once every five minutes or so, as opposed to every couple seconds. They seem to rub up against each other in the anemone but once you think they are getting along great, they lock their mouths together and start spinning around fighting. I have a good idea which one will become the female but it is still up in the air now. Anyway, thanks for your advice, Patrick. I'll post an update on any changes.

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
It might do good to only have

It might do good to only have one anemone so that they will both be geared towards the one. Maybe you can put the other anemone in an in tank corral or something. They do need to duke it out a little to be able to establish which one will become the "one bad mutha"....literally. Maroons, melanopus/frenatus and clarkii clowns can all be quite mean to one another. In my experience, they are the three that get the most aggressive and violent....although I have one said ocellaris that is rapidly changing my opinion..LOL.

Just feed them a few times a day.....a turkey baster or pipette works well for this.....as food scarcity can foster increased aggression. If they are only getting fed once a day, they may fight more as they are not concerned with pairing but a perceived need for survival. This can be true among a host of other fish species as well. Well fed fish, tend to be less aggressive than hungry fish.

The enemy of good enough is better.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
Anemone

The two clowns are mainly hosting a rose bubble tip I have in there. It's about the size of a basketball when it is fully expanded. Also, I have been feeding them frozen mysis about 3 times a day. Two days ago, He was spread out so big that he was blocking all of the light that my green bubble tip was getting and the GBTA is now on the move around the tank. He has been on the backside of the live rock in my tank hiding out in the shadows for two days now for some reason. I have been thinking of getting rid of him. I am just waiting for him to come back around to the front of the tank so I can surround him with some live rock rubble so that when I move him, I don't damage his foot. I like the way he looks but I can't afford to have an anemone on the loose reaking havoc on my coral.

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
how big is the gbta? If you

how big is the gbta? If you don't have a new home for it, I may be interested...

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
Softball Size

It is about the size of a softball when it is comfortable with where its at. It has come back around towards the front some now but it looks like he is stiil on the move. The clowns have taken to the GBTA now that he is back in the light. I am going to try to get him to climb onto a live rock frag so I can move him. I will post up here once I get him isolated in the tank.

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Cool. If you do decide to

Cool. If you do decide to get rid of it, please pm or email me when you get it isolated. Thanks again.

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
Finally

I finally got the Green Bubble Tip Anemone isolated in a topless tupperware bowl inside of my tank. He is about the size of a small baseball now but he gets to be a little bit bigger than a softball in diameter when he is comfortable. I am trying to get $35 for him if you are still interested. I paid $50 for him a week and a half ago, but with the huge Rose Bubble Tip in my tank being about to split, i am going to have my hands full trying to keep that one from brushing up against my coral. Anyway, send me an email at mikeskillz_mailbox@yahoo.com or give me a call at 757-589-7049. Thanks Alot.