For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Mikeskillz 75 Gallon Reef Tank

153 replies [Last post]
Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 28 weeks ago. Offline

I started setting up this tank at the end of February and it was fully cycled by the end of March. I currently have 80lbs. of live sand and about 60lbs. of live rock. I have (2) 3 month old Gold Stripe Maroons, (1) Emerald Crab, (12) Cerith Snails, (12) Blue Leg Hermits, (1) Turbo Snail, (2) Bubble Tip Anemones (RBTA and GBTA), and several corals that I don't know the names of. This tank is far from being finished but this is what I have so far. I hope you enjoy it at least half as much as I do.

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

Marshellman (not verified)
Love the clown house .Im sure

Love the clown house .Im sure there will be fry.........

dkoernert
dkoernert's picture
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Looks really good so far Are

Looks really good so far Are you leaving the rock as is? I like it a lot as is, you could fill out that left side with sweet acans, ricordea, and maybe even get a sweet mat of zoas going. Nice work!

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
More Rock

I plan to have live rock from side to side. I am just on a tight budget right now. As soon as I purchase the main essentials of the tank, I will start adding more rock piece by piece. After that I would like to cover everything in coral. There is always something to buy with reef tanks.
Thanks for the comments

A hobby is something you do in your spare time, but your passion is doing something you love.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
I just got a new fungia plate

I just got a new fungia plate from the Reef Cheif. My camera really sucks so it is really blurry but you can get the idea of what it looks like anyway. I will be borrowing my Mother-in-law's camera next week and I will be taking some more pics and posting them up. I would show you the rest of the tank but i am in the middle of a small diatom bloom and it is pretty ugly right now. Anyway, here is a pic of the fungia plate.

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Great price

I saw those at Reef Chief the other day, can't beat the price on them! Almost got another one for myself, still might. Won't post the price, not sure if Jeff want's his numbers on here...

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

curlykid
curlykid's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
My eyes hurt.

My eyes hurt.

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
Here are some updated

Here are some updated pictures of my tank. I added some zoas I got from the 3 for $10 deal, a fungia plate, an "extra" anemone. I also got some new 14k halide bulbs so my pictures might look a little better as well. Thanks for looking.

Brian
Brian's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
those are some nice zoos for

those are some nice zoos for 10 dollars. tanks look great man.

Why yes I am a Reefer! Are you? Check Out my tank here: http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/05/06/brian-and-jaimes-120-reef

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
new lights

Tanks a rockin' with the new lights. I like the way it is coming together. What is that new green super fuzzy coral in the upper right hand corner...lol (jk) Is that hair algae? But seriously, your tank is looking good. How's it lookin for the sump? Did you get a return pump yet? Yep, there is always something to buy. I finally got my Ca (down) and Alk leveled out. Time to start spending on the dosing additives...

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

Mikeskillz
Mikeskillz's picture
I have taken out the hair

I have taken out the hair algae since then but the picture I took after I did didn't "pop" as much as the one I posted. I think my halides were still warming up. I will post so more when I get a better shot. My sump is kind of in limbo. I have a guy who says he would sell me his return pump for $30 yesterday but I am still waiting to hear back from him. I am going to pick up a 20 long this morning and start measuring the pieces of glass I will need for my baffles and start building that on Monday. My skimmer still doesn't have a collection cup. The guy I got that from says he has it at his house but has been putting me off for close to a month. I am going to try to get that from him today if possible. I have already bought all of the PVC, connectors and ball joint valves I will need to plumb the sump. I just need to get a hose to go from the return pump back to the tank. Long story short, I am still working on it. I'll keep you posted.