For marine aquarists in Hampton Roads and beyond!

Brian and jaime's reef

543 replies [Last post]
Brian
Brian's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

i started off with a ten gallon then upgraded to a 55 gallon. My baby jaime got the reef bug too and decided to take over the 55 and had to decorate everything her way. which i guess is better than her criticizing me or getting upset that i put in so much money into a hobby. i came across a 25 gallon tank for pretty much free and did my hand at a nano with great success. Jaime and i both agreed that there were too many tanks in the house and agreed to do just one big tank. got our tank at pet paradise used for 350. which came with a stand. tank is drilled with two 1 1/2 drains and 2 3/4 returns. using a 30 gallon tank for a refugium which will drain into a 20 long that will have two chambers. 1 small 1 for the skimmer and large will be for return pump. which if i estimate right will be about 15 gallons just for a reservoir. chris taking your advise there to keep adding water to a minimum. we plan on having 2 250 metal hallides and at least 2 36 inch acntic bulbs with of course some blue christmas leds for night viewing; probably end up using the whole 25 ft string in there. all in a custom hood. debating on doing a bare bottom tank, but i just love the look of sand.

one question guys. i have been toying with the idea of using one of those pond return pumps like you can buy at home depot in their garden dept. for about 108 dollars i can get a pump with 1200 gallons per hour flow rate. any experience here or words of wisdom for that kind of pump?

will update later with more pics but here is one at least with our baby girl having fun. stand has it's first coat of stain, needs more and definitley the tank needs more cleaning.

Edited the beginning to add a pic of us. Never know You might see us around town or at reef chief. Say Hi if you recoginize us. Always cool to meet new friends.

Why yes I am a Reefer! Are you? Check Out my tank here: http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/05/06/brian-and-jaimes-120-reef

Patrick
Patrick's picture
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Beautiful little girl but

Beautiful little girl but make sure you quarantine her........everyone knows that little girls have cooties.

The enemy of good enough is better.

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 days ago. Offline
pump -

Considering that the Mag Drives that many people use are really just pond master pumps you could probably get away with it. I will advise to do your research though and make sure that the pump will work for an extended period of time in the saltwater environment and that the manufacturer will back it's product.

Pond pumps are used for koi and waterfalls so losing your pump for a few hours there isn't so bad, but when we use them in an aquarium we need to count on them 100% of the time because things can get pretty toxic without water movement.

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.

Marshellman (not verified)
Is that reef

Is that reef safe..............

Brian
Brian's picture
lol

She really is not completly reef safe unfortunatly. She must be added to your tank with great caution. And as Patrick recommend She definitley needs to quarantined for at least one month.

Why yes I am a Reefer! Are you? Check Out my tank here: http://reefchief.us/forum/2009/05/06/brian-and-jaimes-120-reef

mrbait
User offline. Last seen 4 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
pump

The tank is a 55? 1200 gph is way to much flow for a 55.

Brian
Brian's picture
nah man, this is a 120, hence

nah man, this is a 120, hence the title brian and jaime's 120. and the pump would lose pressure by the time it splits and head height.

dkoernert
dkoernert's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Too much flow? I had 1335 gph

Too much flow? I had 1335 gph in a 24 gallon lol. If you want to keep SPS it needs to be up there.

Brian
Brian's picture
well its about time i updated

well its about time i updated this thread. all the plumbing is done and water has been in for a little while now. this is what i got going on. i have two over flows both at 1 and 1/4 inch pipe, one fills the refugium which is 35-40 gallons and drains into a 20 long. and one drain empties into the twenty long. i have about a five gallon section in the 20 long for the skimmer and 15 gallons is just for the return pump which should hopefully keep the water additions due too evaoporation and skimming to a minimum. my skimmer is rated for 150 gallons which is a little low for my tank but will be updated with a larger skimmer down the road. the two drains have filter socks on them. my return pump is rated for 850 gph and feeds two 3/4 inch pipes back to the main tank. i have 2 koralie pumps in the tank for more flow. Now i definitly need some more rock, corals and fish. lighting is still going to be upgraded here very soon. well post some daytime pics tomorrow.

klieb70
klieb70's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 2 hours ago. Offline
Sweeeet! I like how you did

Sweeeet! I like how you did you fuge and sump set up.

Does anyone else use krylon to keep their corals looking good?

c.talecki
c.talecki's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 days ago. Offline
The 120 -

So in the span of a couple of months you went from a 10 to a 55 to a 25 to a 120. If my calculations are correct that means you'll be into a 210 gallon by January 2010!

The 120 is looking good, I can't wait to see it in action in the next few days....

Fill your tank with $5 bills, pour some gas in, light it on fire.......then you'll know the real cost of reefing.